Thursday, June 26, 2014

Classics Summer

By this time, I had hoped to have had three more previously unread classics under my belt than I had at the beginning of May. Laziness reigns, still, and I have been lollygagging my self-made summer reading schedule. A pinched nerve, however, is to thank for gaining one and one quarters worth of that goal. In two and one half days, being required to take time from work, I was able to consume Wuthering Heights. Previously, I had begun Northanger Abbey, but the tale is buried in the center of a tome which encompasses the complete works of Austen, and my lower back would not allow the weight to be lifted while seated and simultaneously gazing downward to the page.
Heights, though not one of my favorite novels, to be sure, had detailed imagery enough for my inner thoughts to paint perfect pictures. For the most part, this allowed the story to flow seamlessly as I read, but for the many shocking animal abuses. Those were the points when I most needed breaks. So, I would close my ribbon in its place, take a crippled sort of stroll around the yard (I was blessed with beautiful weather throughout my convalescence), and return to my little corner to pick up where I had left the characters.
I see many current story-lines and true to life attributes that run with the constitutions and demeanor of Emily Bronte's characters. While it was received as a lesser piece of literature at its initial publishing, I do believe that it holds relevance today.
I doubt I would have felt the same if forced to read it in high school. Have any of you read Wuthering Heights? Was it for pleasure or school? What are your thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter